This tasty recipe* contains quercetin (prevents allergies, antibacterial & anti-inflammatory) in the onions and isoflavones in the kidney beans (natural hormone balancers). The tomatoes, red peppers & carrots are full of carotenoids for your immune system and skin. Cashews contain calcium, zinc and iron. Kidney beans contain protein and calcium.
The coconut milk means that this dish is rich and filling and you could just eat it with a crisp green salad or green beans/peas. If you want extra carbs as well, serve with brown rice.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 crushed or chopped garlic cloves
- 1 red pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon paprika OR a light sprinkling of chilli powder
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 400ml can coconut milk (can use the reduced fat, lower calorie variety)
- 200gm chopped tomatoes
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 425g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Small handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onions and carrots and fry for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, red pepper and bay leaves and fry for 5 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the paprika, tomato puree, coconut milk, tomatoes, stock and beans and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 12 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the coriander, season to taste with black pepper and serve.
*Adapted from The Hamlyn 30 Minute Vegetarian